So I’ve been having a fairly unproductive past week or ten days in writing my current WiP. Partially due to a great number of financial and automotive problems that have required my attention, but mostly, I think, because I really wasn’t sure where the story was going.
Oh, I have an ending in mind, although fairly vague. And the 10,000 words I’ve written so far are a good start. But I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to reach the end from where I am now.
The root problem, I think, was that I didn’t quite have a handle on all the characters’ motivations. So today I sat down and worked out what each character is up to. Just three or four lines (one or two for minor characters). I also wrote up a page with details on the setting that I didn’t have straight in my mind.
I believe this will break the logjam. Already I know what I need to write tomorrow night. And even beyond that, I have a much better conception of where the story is going.
As a story with a lot of fantasy elements, I assemed my WiP wouldn’t need research because it’s all in my imagination. Wrong! It does need research–only the source is my own mind.